Wednesday, December 21, 2016

My One Christmas Wish
Rev. Marcel Divine Emeka Okwara, CSsR
Homily on the Nativity of the Lord (Christmas)
St. Mary of Assumption Church, Whittier, CA
Sunday, December 25, 2016

Friends, today is Christmas. On every Christmas, we celebrate the birth of the Son of God and the Redeemer of humanity, Jesus Christ. We celebrate the birth of love—divine love, God’s lavished and extravagant love for us: “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosever believes in him will not perish, but will have everlasting life” (John 3:16). Today we celebrate the greatest miracle of all—God becoming a human being, migrating from heaven and relocating into our neighborhood. Today, we celebrate the birth of peace, the kind of peace the United Nations cannot possibly give; we celebrate the birth of freedom, the kind of freedom that no human government can guarantee. We celebrate the miracle of salvation that no human deeds or words can fetch. We celebrate the birth of hope—hope like no other, hope that is real and attainable, hope that is based on God’s unconditional love for us.

Today’s Solemnity calls for a joyful celebration because God has made our earth an extension of his Kingdom. God’s Kingdom has come. God has come. God is with us, within us and among us. The angels of God, right now, are singing how blessed and highly favored we are. Last Sunday, I said in my homily that we are not damned people but blessed and delivered children of God. Because of love, God set aside the natural order of conception in order to give us a spotless Savior. Because of love, God did what none of us is willing and ready to do for the pets we love. For lovers of dogs like me, none of us, no matter how much we love our dogs will be willing to become like them. When I had my dog, Max, I loved him so dearly. I provided for him, cared for him, protected him, and made sure he received medical care from a licensed veterinarian. As much as I loved Max, there was no way I would have agreed to become a dog, sniff the ground, lick the floor and the skin of people, eat stuff thrown into a garbage. No way! I loved my dog, but I wouldn't go as far as taking his form and nature. But guess what? That’s exactly what Jesus did for us. One other thing, when I had Max, I tried to teach him to stay within our fenced property. I never wanted him to run out through the gate because I was concerned he may be hit by a car. But one day, Max ran outside into the street. I called him over and over again but he did not listen. I pursued him shouting, “Max, Max, Max, stop, stop, stop,”  he ignored my call and then ran into a busy road and was immediately hit by a fast moving car. I feared the worst had happened. He started groaning and crying. I was so sorry for him. I cried for his pain. But do you think if I was offered the chance to be hit by a car instead of my dog that I would have taken the offer? Oh no! Yet again, that’s what Jesus did. Amazing, isn't it?

I want to use this opportunity to thank all those who sent me Christmas gifts. I’m very grateful. Your gifts meant a lot to me. May God bless you. As much as I cherish those presents, I still want one Christmas gift. It’s not really a gift, it’s a wish. It’s a Christmas wish. If I had one Christmas wish, it would be that we all live together in love as brothers and sisters. That’s what Jesus teaches us in John 13:34, “Love one another as I have loved you.” If I had one Christmas wish, it would be to establish peace—Christ’s peace all over the world. That’s what Jesus gives us: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you” (John 14:27). If I had one Christmas wish, it would be to end all wars, to stop bombs falling like rain. If I had one Christmas wish, it would be that the people of Syria be safe and live in their homeland again. If I had one Christmas wish, it would be to end all terrorism. St. Paul urges us to live in peace with everyone (Romans 12:18). If I had one Christmas wish, it would be that Jesus is accepted by all and his message lived out without hypocrisy. After all, Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6). The world is largely in chaos because of our refusal to believe and walk in his way. If I had one Christmas wish, it would be to eradicate all rivalries, divisions, hatred and racial resentments. Jesus came to reconcile us with God and with each other. He came that we may have life, life in its fullness (John 10:10). Rivalries, divisions, hatred and racial bias make it impossible for us to live a fulfilled life. If I had one Christmas wish, it would be that all lives be respected and protected. That’s what Mary and Joseph taught us by their example. When the life of the infant Jesus was threatened by King Herod, they took him and ran to Egypt. If I had one Christmas wish, it would be that at all time, we will appeal to our better angels, elevate them and bring out the best in each other. That’s exactly what Jesus did to the woman caught in the act of adultery (John 8: 1-11). The men who brought her to Jesus had concluded that she was no good. But Jesus saw the angel in her. He saw that the woman has what it takes to be good again. For him to say to her, “Go and sin no more” (John 8:11) means he believed in her. He saw that the angel in her can outshine the demon in her. He forgave her and gave her a fresh start. If I had one Christmas wish, it would be to end untold suffering and hunger in Africa, Middle East and everywhere. Jesus was interested in ending hunger when he multiplied five loaves of bread and two wish and fed a multitude (Matt.14:13-21; Mark 6:30-44; Luke 9:10-17 and John 6:1-15). If I had one Christmas wish, it would be a peaceful resolutions of all political crisis, sitting at the table of dialogue and resolving all differences. In Matthew 5:23-24, Jesus teaches us that if we are bringing our gifts to the altar and halfway we remember that we have something against our brother or sister, that we should leave our gifts there, then go and reconciled with them first. Peace and reconciliation are more important than the offering of material gifts. If I had one Christmas wish, there would be no strife, injury and hurt. God through Jesus came to bring us healing. If I had one Christmas wish, it would be that you and I are happy, healthy, peaceful and saved. My one Christmas wish is that Jesus be born in the hearts and lives of everyone. 

Merry Christmas, everyone!




No comments:

Homily for the Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B

Faith Opens The Door, Love Keeps You In The House Rev. Marcel Divine Emeka Okwara, CSsR Homily for the Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time...