Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Another Way of Looking at the Gospel of Matthew 25:35-36
Rev. Marcel Divine Emeka Okwara, CSsR

“For I was hungry and you gave me food. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink, a stranger, and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.”

“I was hungry and you gave me food.” When I was jobless, I came to you, and you helped me find a job. You told me about an opening in your office and elsewhere and taught me how to go about it. You gave me the connection that ultimately gave me the means of livelihood. The job I have today, I owe to you. The business I am running today, I owe it to you. You gave me the link that got me a decent livelihood.

“I was thirsty and you gave me to drink.” There was a time that my life was dry. I was very empty. Despite all the material things I have, I was still longing for more. I wanted more, but not more material things but something else that would give me fulfillment and satisfaction. Then I met you, and you led me to Jesus who quenched my thirst. I did not know that the thirst I had, the emptiness I wanted to fill up was my dissociation from God. But when I found you, you led me to him.

“I was a stranger and you welcomed me.” Wherever I went, I was usually alone because I had no friend. No one wanted to be my friend because of impoverishment. When I show up in any gathering and even in the Church, people tried to avoid me. No one wanted to be bothered with my tale of problems and a plea for help. But when I encountered you, you accepted me and made me your friend. You made me feel important again and also needed.

“I was naked and you clothed me.” At my baptism, I was clothed with the white garment of righteousness. But my sin, disobedience and arrogance have stained it and stripped me of the garment. I was naked, exposed and vulnerable to the attacks of the Devil. With that, I lost my innocence and holiness. I was like one among hungry lions. Then you came along and led me to Jesus, the Lion of the tribe of Judah. He forgave me my sins, healed me and restored my righteousness, holiness, dignity and all that I have lost. He said to me, “Be clean.” He said to me, “Go in peace, your sins are forgiven.” He said to me, “Go and show yourself to your priest.” Jesus did not only restore my garment of righteousness, he also restored the joy of my salvation.

“I was sick and you cared for me.” Life’s troubles, afflictions, difficulties and misfortunes made me sick and tired of living. I wanted to take my life; I wanted to end it all. I was sick and tired of living through the pains and misery. But when I met you, you gave me reasons to live again. You gave me hope. You lifted me up and told me that despite all I have been through, God loves me still, and that you also love me. Your care, love and attention brought me healing, comfort, peace and joy, and I wanted to live again.


“I was in prison and you visited me.” I was a prisoner of several disappointments, failings and hurts. Those that claimed to love me deeply hurt me. The people I trusted, betrayed me. All the efforts I have made to make it, failed me. I was deeply hurt. With time, I slipped into self-pity and depression. I got myself locked up in what others have done to me and how life has treated me. Without even knowing it, I became a miserable prisoner of past hurts and failings. I couldn't let myself out. Resentment, anger and bitterness became my world, my neighbors and my daily experiences. But when I met you, you patiently bailed me and led me out of my own imprisonment. You took me to Jesus, the universal Liberator, who set me free and set me on a new path of life. I jailed myself, but you helped me get out of jail.

No comments:

Homily for the Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B

Faith Opens The Door, Love Keeps You In The House Rev. Marcel Divine Emeka Okwara, CSsR Homily for the Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time...