Thursday, December 1, 2011

Homily for the Solemnity of Mary, the Holy Mother of God

New Year Resolution with Mary
Rev. Marcel Divine Emeka Okwara CSsR
Homily for the Solemnity of Mary, the Holy Mother of God
St. Gerard Majella Catholic Church
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
January 1, 2012

Today is the first day of January. The name “January” is derived from the Roman god Janus, the god with two faces, one looking to the past and the other looking to the future. This is actually the time to look back at the year that just ended yesterday and to also look forward to the new year which begins today. As we begin the new year, there are important questions that we need to ask ourselves. How did I spend the year 2011? Did I achieve the goals I set at the beginning of it? Did I spend the past year enhancing the purpose of my life? How did I spend my talent, time and treasure? Was I regular at Sunday Masses? Did I deepen my relationship with God and with others last year? How can I grow spiritually? How can I be more involved in my parish Church? You see, a soul-searching questions like these will help us in setting goals and resolutions for the new year. 

As we celebrate the New Year, let’s make our New Year resolution with Mary, the Mother of God. Let’s make resolutions, not wishes. There is a difference between the two. A wish identifies a goal one wants to reach, but a resolution specifies the steps one should take to reach it. A wishful person says this is where I want to be, but a resolved and resolute person says this is is the road I will take, this is what I will do to get there. A wishful person says “I wish to live a life of union with God this year 2012” but a resolved and resolute person says “I will go to Church every Sunday, and I will set aside this time everyday to pray and read the Word of God.” A wishful person says, “I want to live better,” but a resolved person says “I will love everyone, I will forgive my offenders, I will help those in need.” 

Today, the Church celebrates the Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God. The Church teaches us to look upon Mary as a model, that is, as a perfect exemplar, as someone to imitate. Mary is the model of a new life in Christ, the new life we want to live in this New Year. Mary was a woman who valued, cherished and treasured God so much. When the shepherds visited her to adore the Child Jesus in the manger, they also narrated the message they had been told about the Child. On hearing that, “Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart.” Again after the boy Jesus was found in the Temple, we are told that “His Mother treasured all these things in her heart” (Luke 2:5). Mary valued the word of God so much. She pondered and reflected on them in her heart. Her holiness is always attributed to the grace of God, but that does not mean that she did not make effort to cooperate with the grace of God. She was attentive to the word of God. She reflected on the word of God. She pondered what God was saying to her as the handmaid of God. 

God spoke to Mary through the angels and through her own life’s experiences. Today, God speaks to us in the same way through the Bible, the teachings and the preachings of the Church and through our personal experiences in life. But we need to make time for God to hear him. Like Mary we need to reflect on the Word of God. Like Mary, we need to listen to God speaking to us through the teaching and the preaching of the Word of God. Romans 10:17 says that “Faith comes from hearing the Good News about Christ.” Let’s resolve to spend some time with the Lord. Let’s stop making excuses as to why we cannot. Why must it be God’s matters that should suffer? I have seen Catholics who go to work from Monday to Friday, but on Sundays, they make excuses why they cannot go to Church. God’s matters are always given up. Ask to choose between going to Church on Sunday morning and staying home to watch a particular sports, they will stay home instead. 

Let’s begin this year with God. Let’s resolve to spend some time to ponder and reflect on the Word of God just like Mary. Remember, God is the greatest treasure we can possess. God is the most precious Jewel of inestimable value. This year, let God comes first, second and third in your life. 

Happy New Year! 

1 comment:

Meline Meaux said...

Dear Father Okwara,
I came across your beautiful homily when searching for St. Gerard Majella website in order to obtain a copy of my birth certificate. I was very blessed to find this, and it is an inspiration to me. Thank you so much! Happy and blessed New Year to you and all the parishioners at St. Gerard!

Homily for the Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B

Faith Opens The Door, Love Keeps You In The House Rev. Marcel Divine Emeka Okwara, CSsR Homily for the Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time...